Sunday, February 20

The Last Temptation...

I don't know about you, but I long for the day when I will no longer wound my relationships (God, family, and others). I don't know about you, but I continue to struggle with the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life. Simply put, the world continues to entice me and I continue to put myself in places that take my heart and mind away from being centered on Jesus Christ. Don't misunderstand me, I have come along way in the last 15 years. I just long for eternity when the lion will lay with the lamb, there will be peace on the earth, no sickness, no death, and no tears.

Over lunch one day I asked a dear 80+ year old mentor, "John, when do you stop struggling with temptation and such..." John just kept sipping his soup and after what seemed like an eternity as I sat on the edge of the seat, he casually glanced across the table at me and said, "Bill, I'll let you know. Until then, learn to be content in the battle."

I don't know when I will face my last temptation, but I am learning to be content in the battle.

Somethoughts on contentment...
• When you loose your focus on Christ or fall into temptation, He does not want to punish you or shame you into obedience. Rather with open arms, He looks forward to us restoring the relationship by simply turning away from sin or distraction and spending time with Him in prayer, reading His-story (the Bible), listening to His still small voice, and talking with others about His message.
• When you loose your focus on Christ or fall into temptation that keeps chasing you wherever you go... find a brother or sister who has a deep faith in Jesus and ask them to walk with you through this time of struggle. Jesus sent the disciples out two by two, not all alone. We need each other more than we think.
• Lastly, continue in a routine of spending time with God. I call it J.A.M. time. "Jesus And Me" time. This could be at a park, a pool, a mountain, a desert, a crowded coffee shop, a cozy chair in front of a fire, or anywhere. The idea is that you are not mentally distracted from staying focussed on Jesus and His words in the Bible. You are able to listen to His still small voice that leads and guides us in all things. Some do it in the morning and others do it at night. You need to find your place and your time. Jesus is a true friend, He doesn't care when or how he hangs out with us.

Try the Message Bible. I like this version it helps people who have grown up religous begin to look at Christ in a new light.

No comments: